Mixed Veterinary Surgeon, Millcroft Veterinary Group, Cockermouth - Lake District
Millcroft Veterinary Group is a fiercely independent, six centre, mixed practice in the western Lake District. We currently have opportunities for both experienced and new graduate vets to join our friendly 27 vet team in a range of working patterns.
Millcroft Veterinary Group is a member of XLVets, a community of independently-owned veterinary practices. Our independence means there are genuine opportunities for business ownership and we are committed to independent succession.
We have a busy and varied caseload of small animals and farm animal work:
Small animal - We are a first opinion general practice with a focus on quality work and we see ourselves as a middle ground between basic first opinion and complex referral level. We have lots of experienced colleagues to learn from and discuss cases with certificate holders in surgery, exotics, imaging and cardiology, and vets studying towards ECC, medicine and behaviour.
Farm - a 50:50 dairy to beef split, a thriving sheep business and numerous camelids. The farms are a real mix of historic, generational Lake District hill farms through to large and progressive dairy farms. Our large animal work is 90% farm and 10% first opinion equine, but there is room to do more equine.
We offer experienced vets:
- Package up to £70k DOE for a 42hr week. We are SPVS members that pay attention to the recent salary surveys with vets paid well above the SPVS survey national median, despite being in Northern England.
- A 4-day week as standard with options to increase salary or reduce working hours.
- Excellent facilities including portable digital radiography and numerous portable ultrasound units.
- On-call rota - 1 weeknight in 10 and approximately 1 weekend in 5 (depending on which rota you join LA or SA).
- CPD is encouraged to further your own interests and funded to Certificate / Masters / PGDip level for a long term candidate.
- In addition to CPD allowance, we provide 1 week pro-rata paid CPD time
- RCVS, VDS, BVA and one other professional membership fee of your choice paid
We offer new graduates:
For new graduates, we are offering a position on our Graduate Development Programme.In addition to the above:
- Package of £36k
- Enhanced CPD with attendance on the XLVets Graduate Development Programme. This involves:
- Monthly meetings with an external XLVets mentor.
- 80hrs+ of external CPD spread over a year delivered by experts in the XLVets community.
- Lots of socialising with an XLVets peer group of other new graduates across the country.
- We are an approved graduate development practice with four registered vetGDP mentors.
- We actively encourage mentorship by paying a bonus to our VetGDP mentors. We also have access to internal and external XLVets "Mentoring Matters" mentors.
- Full back-up OOH with a dedicated experienced vet rostered on alongside your nights.
- Informal support and directors available 24/7 long term.
- Due to our large team, plenty of support, mentoring and caseload, we will make any new graduate a truly great vet.
- 5.6 pro-rata weeks of paid holiday per year, including public holidays, with additional allowance for long service.
- Hours worked overtime returned as time off in lieu.
- Optional holiday purchase scheme of up to 1 week pro-rata.
- Relocation support - we have two practice houses, so often accommodation is available as part of the package
- We take mental health seriously and subscribe to an employee assistance programme which provides 24/7 support as well as counselling sessions
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Company pension
- Discounted veterinary fees and free membership to our Lifetime Care Cub
- Team social events
- Flu vaccine
Still need to be convinced?
- We are proud, active members of XLVets, and recent winners of the XLVet's "Inspirational Teams" award.
- We have a busy and varied caseload - perfect for aspirant certificate holders.
- We’re situated in the heart of the Lake District UNESCO World Heritage Site which presents a wealth of opportunities for walkers, horse-riders, kayakers, runners, mountaineers, climbers, paragliders, wild-swimmers and even skiers.
To apply, or for an informal discussion please contact Gemma Allison, HR Manager:
Telephone: 01900 826666