Would you like to work for an award winning, well established and independent practice?
We are looking for an extra full time, permanent Small Animal Vet to join our friendly and professional clinical team.
- We are a well-established practice giving great job security.
- We are independent giving you freedom of choice and no sales targets.
- Although we provide our own in-house on-call service, we strive to maintain a healthy work life balance.
- We are happy to discuss the hours you work around your needs.
- Stanley House Vets was Pendle’s employer of the year 2016-2017 and runner up for 2018.
- We were highly commended in the SPVS wellbeing awards.
- Our main site has undergone extensive refurbishments, you can enjoy using our state-of-the-art equipment in beautiful surroundings.
- You would enjoy excellent support and back up from our well-established clinical team.
- We have 15-minute appointments.
- We have team meetings so all our staff can contribute to the success of our practice and ensure everyone is listened to.
- For more recently qualified vets we have reflective meetings giving vets a great environment to develop and grow.
- We offer a generous CPD allowance and certificates are encouraged.
- We have a new graduate development program.
- Our Colne surgery is an ISFM accredited cat friendly clinic.
- We are RCVS Accredited and a Nurse training centre.
- Accommodation is available.
- The rota is 1.5 in 8 with generous time off given for on call.
- You will be enrolled on to Sovereign Healthcare which is a cash back plan and contributes to dentist, opticians, physio and much more.
- You will have access to an Employee Assistance Programme.
- You can join our corporate gym membership for only £22.50 a month.
- We offer a cycle to work scheme.
- Pets are treated at cost (within reason).
- An extra day holiday is given for every 3 years’ service up to a maximum of 5 days pro rata.
You are more than welcome to speak to one of our vets to see what life is like at Stanley House.
About Stanley House Vets
Stanley House Veterinary Group was (as far as we know) was established in 1921. In Colne in Lancashire.
We are a mixed first opinion practice, running our Farm and Equine Department and Companion Animal Department totally separate. The practice has 4 directors and we currently employ 67 staff.
We have 3 Companion Animal surgeries in Colne, Barnoldswick and Burnley. You will only work between 2 surgeries to try and maintain case continuity. Some lone work may be required but in general you will have the support from a well experienced team of excellent and dedicated vets, nurses and receptionists.
Our facilities allow for good case work up and include a state-of-the-art DR digital x-ray machine with cloud based image storage, ECG, flexible endoscope, ultrasound scanner, tonometer, infusion pumps and a well-equipped lab including an electrolyte analyser.
Out of hours and On-call
Our loyal clients appreciate our in-house out of hours service. We understand how on-call can impact on work life balance, however, our large team helps spread the burden. We also give generous time off in-lieu and you will not work the following day after a night on-call. Should you also choose to stay at the surgery when on-call, we have on-site accommodation with shower facilities.
Providing in-house OOH care not only gives our clients a better service, but also increases case exposure to our vets. Therefore, allowing them to build experience and confidence in dealing with emergency and critical care patients.
You would be on-call one night with the following day off.
Our week-end OOH rota is approximately 1.5 in 8 with time off in-lieu:
On-call Friday / Work Saturday morning only / Sunday on call
(Monday & Tuesday off in-lieu)
(With a Friday off in-lieu)
Followed by 6 weekends off
In addition, you would be on-call one night a week every other week with the following day off. The rota is on a continuous 8-week cycle allowing you to plan your life ahead. We have an OOH telephone answering service so you will not be taking calls directly. There is also an experienced nurse on-call and recent graduates will be given veterinary back-up OOH. There is CCTV so you can remotely keep an eye on inpatients.
Stanley House Vets are very honoured to have won the 2016- 2017 Pendle Employer of the Year in our local business awards for investing in our staff and providing a supportive work environment. In 2018 we were very pleased to be the runner up selected from many applications.
We have also been highly commended in the SPVS Wellbeing awards.
About our team
We have worked with the BVA in the summer of 2016 filming for Veterinary view – Watch our short films to meet some of the team.
We have a friendly and supportive team. As a practice we do take part in a number of social events. Over the last 3 years we have taken part in the annual charity Pendle Pub Walk covering 13 miles and visiting a number of pubs for refreshments on the way! Many of our staff enjoy taking part in activities often raising money for various charities including:
- Yorkshire three peaks.
- Yorkshire Tough Mudder.
- The Major Series.
- Guide dog challenge.
- 50-mile Megahike.
This year we are organising the Lancashire Three Peaks raising Money for The Christie and Anthony Nolan charities.
We organise some in-house evening CPD, always with pizza and a chat beforehand.
We have taken part in a short film about Euthanasia which is currently touring various film festivals.
Please click on the link to view: https://vimeo.com/273735473
About the area
We do think it’s important to help employees, especially someone new to the area, find a good work life balance and Pendle offers a wide variety of leisure activities.
For walking and hiking enthusiasts we are situated in the north east of Lancashire, nestling between the Ribble Valley and the Pennine Way, Pendle is a largely rural area dominated by the iconic Pendle Hill. The Forest of Bowland, an area of outstanding natural beauty, is on our door step and the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District and Bronte Country are all within easy reach.
We have two golf courses in Pendle and a sailing club on Burwains reservoir.
The area is home to cycling Olympian and world champion, Steven Burke MBE and for the cycling enthusiast there is a cycling club that meets regularly at the Steven Burke closed road cycle circuit. There’s also the annual Colne Grand Prix cycle race. For the more extreme off-road biking there are plenty of trails at Gisburn Forest approximately 8 miles away from Colne.
The area also boasts a premier league football team! (we are still there this season we’ll see what happens!).
Our corporate gym membership gives access to 4 gyms plus you can also use a further 13 leisure centres throughout East Lancashire, including fun pools and you can also receive discounts on spa treatments.
For people who enjoy city life, the vibrant cities of Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds are within easy reach by road or public transport and offer excellent shopping and night life.
We also have fantastic access to the motorway network and major airports.
Find out more at www.visitpendle.com
If you would like to join our friendly and supportive team, please apply by posting your CV to:
Liz Edmondson Day
20 Albert Road,
Alternatively, you can send your CV by email to:
If you have any queries, please phone Liz: 01282 860650.